Sunday, February 03, 2008

A different perspective

I said this before but I love podcasts. As I was working late Saturday night, I was spending a little quality time with Francis Chan & Co. One particular message stood out. It is from a couple of years ago, and its the events that lead up to and followed Christ's death on the cross.
One of the first things that jumped out at me was I was reminded that the God of the Universe, who created us, loves us, and sacrificed his own son so that we could have fellowship with him. He did all of that, and sometimes all we do is walk into church and lack any joy on our faces.
Another thing was the reaction of the Roman Centurion. Take a look at it in Luke 23: 44 -47.

44It was now about the sixth hour, and darkness came over the whole land until the ninth hour, 45for the sun stopped shining. And the curtain of the temple was torn in two. 46Jesus called out with a loud voice, "Father, into your hands I commit my spirit." When he had said this, he breathed his last.

47The centurion, seeing what had happened, praised God and said, "Surely this was a righteous man."

Who was this centurion? Was he one of the soldiers just a few verses earlier gambling over his clothes and mocking him? It doesn't matter. What matters was his response when he realized that God's son had just died on the cross and he was a part of it. He praised God.

He praised God?

How could he, of all people, do that?

I really don't know. It really only matters that somewhere, somehow, he got it.

Sunday morning, I had a rough time even wanting to go to church. I forced myself to go to Connection. I was sitting there was the first song was playing, my mind revisited parts of the message I listened to as I worked.

Wow.

Who am I to call myself a Christian and not want to go to church?(Granted, a vacation sounds good right now) Why do I so flippantly take for granted Christ's sacrifice?

I don't know, but I'm glad I went to church. I needed to hear that message from Cornerstone, and I needed to hear the message from Dave, Christy, and Derry.

No comments: