Monday, June 18, 2007

Sweatin' to the Oldies

So Monday night I actually went for a run. Yes, I just said I went for a run. Its amazing the things you'll do when you get kicked out of your place of residence for a while. Along with me, I had the opportunity to listen to some good old friends.


I've been having conversations with different people about the Christian music of the mid to late 90's. I don't know if I'm being nostalgic or what, but I think that this is the best era of Christian music. Argue with me all you want, but I'm sure I'm right. I mean who can be better than groups like:
Five Iron Frenzy
Poor Old Lu
Black Eyed Sceva

BleachJohnny Q. Public

... and I could go on. But I think I got my point across. Feel free to argue with me, or add other bands to the mix.

4 comments:

Dan Weiss said...

You're absolutely right.
I was listening to Five Iron Frenzy on my way to work this morning!

Phil Strahm said...

I was at Ichthus Music Festival with the youth this last week and what I discussed with multiple people was how the 90's was probably the worst decade for christian music. The 80's had plenty of good metal bands, which was the favorite type of music.

Maybe you love the 90's b/c they were your teen years...and plankeye wasn't bad. Not that Audio Adrenaline or Newsboys or whoever were terrible, I'm just glad the era of them leading the way is over.

"Christian" music is WAY better now in my humble opinion.

derryprenkert said...

Sorry Phil,

You missed it on this one man.
There was some great stuff in the 90s. The problem was that none of it into the Mainstream CCM market.

Yes, the 80s had plenty of christian metal bands. I would debate the "good" part with you though.

Prayer Chain, Plankeye, poor old lu, , Five Iron Frenzy, Flemming and John, The Lost Dogs, Vigilantes of Love, Mortal, Pedro the Lion, Insyderz, ghoti hook, Rich Mullins, johnny Q, black eyed sceva, Between Thieves, Bleach, Caedman's Call, Delerious, Dime Store Prophets, The Electrics, Kosmos Express, Pedro the Lion, Rich Young Ruler, 7 Day Jesus, Silage, The Waiting, Stavesacre...

And we must not forget that Switchfoot, POD, and Third Day are 90s bands who were finally allowed in the mainstream in 2000

Greg said...

I need to get a copy of polorboy from you I lost mine a while ago and I love that cd. Also Derry you forgot MUKALA.