Saturday, February 06, 2010

Back to the basics

Ah, training wheels.
I remember way back in the day when I first started to learn how to ride a bicycle. It took time and yes, it helped immensely to have the extra wheels. If my dad would have tried to teach me how to ride without training wheels, I think I may have eventually been successful. But I think it would've been very difficult.

The other day I was trying to instruct a new employee on how to complete an assignment. A few minutes into the process I realized a deer in the headlights look. It hit me. What I thought were specific instructions, were really not. It was my fault, not his. I had grown accustomed to saying something to one of the guys who'd been around for a while and was used to my instructions.

Recently I've had the opportunity to talk to a student who is new to this whole Christianity thing. In answering questions, this has made me think hard about the things I take for granted. This situation has, in a sense, refreshed my soul. I feel like there is something there that is taking place that God desires for me to be a part of.

At the same time, I'm troubled. I feel like far too often as a church, we expect everyone who doesn't understand what a relationship with Christ is to automaticaly understand, and to come to the church, magically assimilating into the body of Christ. I'm pretty sure Christ said "Go and make disciples," not "sit and wait for people to become disciples and come to the church."

So how do we do this? How do we continue to grow people in their relationships with Jesus Christ, while guiding others in the initial steps? It seems to me we can do one really well, but not both at the same time. If the each part of the body of Christ has a specific purpose, why does the church at times just look like the ear?

No comments: