Saturday, March 07, 2009

8 miles

The On Fire Rallies changed my life.

It all started what will be 12 years ago. I was attending another church at the time, and had heard about a series of nights dedicated to growing deeper in one's relationship with Christ. I had decided that I was going to make it a priority to check it out.

I was not disappointed.

I found that the worship music was different than singing the hymns and an occasional chorus, and the speaker was challenging me right where I was at. I met many people, including a Pastor, several volunteers, and even several other students who were so friendly, welcoming, and encouraging. Its like I was visiting my home after a long and tiring trip. I was glad I went.

The next year (Spring of 98), I was a senior. At this point in life I was at the mercy of my parents when it came to driving, as I didn't have a car yet. One night of the On Fire Rallies, both my parents were out with the vehicles, and I had no ride, except for the two-wheeled variety. So, one dreary, drizzling night, I donned a yellow rain poncho and peddled the roughly 8 miles from my house to Nappanee Missionary Church. I wasn't going to let anything keep my from participating in what I knew was going to be an incredible time to focus on God.

The On Fire Rallies changed my life. One might say that my life would have sucked without it. I found a place I fit in, It helped shape my choices of my life after high school, and my desire to invest in the lives of youth.

I look back and think of what God has done in my life through the On Fire Rallies, and I thank and praise Him. But more importantly, I look forward in anticipation of what God is going to do.

As I sit in a Coffee House on the eve of this year's Rallies, I'm trying to think. Am I ready? Like the 8 miles that would have kept me from learning and drawing closer to God, is there anything that could be keeping me from hearing God speak to me?

1 comment:

Chunk said...

To tell you the truth,when I saw the title, I was kind of expecting this post to be about Eminem...