Sunday, September 10, 2006

Small Town Life

Its been over eleven months since I lived in this small town, yet I am continually being surprised by something. There is a phenomenon at the town square that I will not ever completely understand. Apparently at any given time, the town square will be closed, or obstructed. Near Halloween, they'll close it for pumpkin carving or trick-or-treating or something. At Christmas time there is a tree in the middle of the intersection, along with the "no left turn" signs. You have the Maple Syrup Festival in late April. At the beginning of the football season, part of the square was blocked off, and NW football players were meandering about.
There are other instances, that I still have no idea why the square was blocked. But today was the ultimate sign of a small town. Heading home from church today, a city cop veered in front of the guy in front of me, blocking the intersection in question. I thought to myself, "Well, maybe there is a funeral procession, or an ambulance is coming through." To my disappointment it was a procession, but of antique tractors and cars.

No comments: