Friday, July 18, 2008

Surrender!

A surrendered life is an empowered life. An empowered life is a life that expects the miraculous.

If you are from Nappanee Missionary, you have probably heard that saying. But, what does that mean?

Well let me back up and talk about hiding from God. It was recently said by a SH Youth Pastor that when you hide your sin from God, the only thing you are doing is hurting yourself. God sees all, and he knows about it. By us bringing sin out of hiding, we are being open and honest in front of God. Only then can we experience true freedom in Christ.

In my journey in the last week of finding my way back to seeking God with all my heart, I realized something about surrendering my rights, my desires, my dreams, and my will.
Its only when we get to the point of wanting to give everything over to God, and trusting in him to provide for us that we will experience true freedom in Christ.
Its funny to me that dealing with sin and surrender can involve the same steps. But, at the same time, its so elementary. For some reason, I'm once again reminded of this passage that has been popping into my life all summer long:

Matthew 6

25"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? 26Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?

28"And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 30If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? 31So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' 32For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

We worry about our sin. We worry about our rights, our desires, our dreams, and our wills. Its time we surrender. The One who we battle with is a lot bigger than us, and He's actually on our side. Sign away everything... all of your sin and all of the things you think you need or you think God has for you. Then you can live in freedom, and fight with, and not against God.

What is holding you back? Have you counted the cost? Do you truly want to seek after God with all of your heart? I know both sides of this story. And frankly, I'm learning that this picture is were I am free.
I really need to remember this post. Somebody please ask me how I'm doing from time to time.


1 comment:

TheThinker said...

I actually preached those verses from Matthew open air on Mackinac two weeks back while presenting the Gospel.

Also:

Isaiah 59:2 But your iniquities have separated you from your God; your sins have hidden his face from you, so that he will not hear.

I love you bro, stand firm in the grace that you have been given. Peace
David