Sunday, October 05, 2008

Time for a rant

Well, this might be a little dangerous and I might step and some toes, but its time for me to jump back on the soap box for a few minutes. Hopefully the intent behind this post will be understood.

First of all, I am a recovering hypocrite. Maybe that is a little too optimistic. I definitely am not perfect and have plenty of hypocritical tendencies that I need to work on.

It all started last week. I was debating on whether to go to First Serve Sat. It came down to Friday, and I still hadn't decided if I was going to go. My weekends have been crazy for about a month now, and the thought of being gone to volunteer from 8a.m. to 4p.m. then working from 6:30 until who knows when was not very appealing to me. As this debate was going on inside my head, I ridiculed someone for making excuses for not being able to go.

Friday night I started to think of the irony in what had transpired. I started to think of all of that. I got kicked in the butt for my attitude on this. I decided that I needed to go to First Serve and that was that.

At lunch somehow I got into a conversation about how many people from our church actually participate in serving. I started to get frustrated. I don't understand how it is so hard for me or anyone else to give up a few hours of time a month.

Sunday morning in class we were going over James 1. Check out the last two verses:
26If anyone considers himself religious and yet does not keep a tight rein on his tongue, he deceives himself and his religion is worthless. 27Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.

Are we making the most of the opportunities that are before us? If not, what can we do to get to that spot?


No comments: